Is plant-based good for the planet?
How can your plant-based diet help the planet? What are the impacts your diet is having on the environment? How can you minimize your footprint or should I say “foodprint”?
Diet and greenhouse gas emissions
- you can reduce your carbon footprint by 50%
- up to 51% of global greenhouse gas emissions are produced due to livestock and their byproducts
- livestock is responsible for 65% nitric oxide emissions, which are more destructive than CO2
Diet and deforestation
- animal agriculture is responsible for 91% of Amazon destruction
- 1-2 acres of rainforest are cleared every second
- 26 million acres of rainforest have been cleared due to palm oil production
- 136 million acres of rainforest have been cleared due to animal agriculture
Diet and land use
- 1/3 land is desertified due to livestock
- livestock covers 45% of the earth’s total land
- 1.5 acres of land produce 37000 lbs plant-based food or 375 lbs meat
- 1/6th of an acre is needed to feed a plant-based eater for a year, to feed a meat-eater 18 times more land is needed
Diet and water use
- 1 hamburger requires 660 gallons of water, which is equivalent to showering for 2 months
- the meat and dairy industry use 1/3 of earth’s freshwater
- The USA uses 5% of its water for domestic use, and 55% for animal agriculture
- waste from 2500 dairy cows equals the waste of a city of almost 500k people
- 7 million pounds of extremities are produced every minute in the USA
- 110 animal and insect species are lost every day from rainforest destruction
- 3/4 of the world’s fish are exploited
- for every 1 pound of fish caught, 5 pounds of unintended marine species are caught and discarded as by-kill
- 90 million tons of fish are pulled out of the oceans every year
- animal agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution, and habitat destruction.
- a whole-food plant-based diet helps you use less plastic because you buy less processed, packaged foods and you buy more whole-foods
- whole-foods can be bought in bulk or in your own packaging
Sign up here if you don’t want to miss out on the best Plant-based Recipes, Tips & Tricks
You will only receive notifications about new content on this blog. No spam.