Plant-based sushi roll [whole-food, plant-based, no oil, gluten free]
I used to be very intimidated by the word “sushi”. It sounded very posh to me and I thought it can only be made with raw fish. But as it turns out, it’s just seasoned rice with some kind of filling wrapped into a nori sheet. Rice and algae are already plant-based. To make plant-based sushi we just need to choose a plant-based filling.
Plant-based sushi fillings
The sky is the limit when it comes to choosing your sushi filling. Any raw veggie you like, you can put into your plant-based sushi. You can even use cooked vegetables or a plant-based dip like hummus to spice things up. I tried many different combinations but my favorite is carrots and avocado. Once you get the hang of sushi preparation, you can experiment as much as you like and find your favorite filling.
Other sushi ingredients
As I already mentioned, the base of any sushi roll is rice, wrapped into a nori sheet. You can either use sushi rice or brown rice, any sticky rice will do. Some people will use quinoa or some other grains, but I prefer rice. To season the rice you will need something sweet and something acidic. I usually use brown sugar and rice vinegar. We will wrap everything into a nori sheet – a sheet made from roasted nori algae.
How to make sushi?
At first, the whole process might look very complicated but don’t worry, it’s very easy once you get a hang of it. You will need a bamboo sushi mat. A bamboo sushi mat is something you can get in your Asian food store. It plays a key role in the rolling process. You can see detailed instructions on how to make a sushi roll in my Instagram Highlight.
Plant-based sushi roll with avocado and carrot
- bamboo mat
- 1 ½ cup rice sushi rice or brown rice*
- 1 piece avocado small, approx. 160 g
- 1 piece carrot medium
- 4 sheets nori algae for sushi
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds *optional
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or sweetner of choice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- wasabi or sriracha *if you like it spicy
- Cook rice according to the instructions on the package.
- In a small bowl combine the rice seasoning.
- Stir the rice seasoning into cooked rice. Use a chopstick to minimise the breaking of grains. Transfer into a big bowl and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the filling. Clean the avocado and cut it into 8 long pieces. Clean the carrot and cut it into matchsticks of simmilar length.
- Place the nori algae rough-side-up onto your bamboo mat.
- Wet your hands and place cooled rice onto the nori algae. Distribute it into a thin layer as evengly as possible, leaving a belt on the top of the algae uncovered.
- Sprinkle black sesame evenly over the rice.
- Place two pieces of avocado and ¼ of carrot along side the middle of rice.
- Make the sushi roll. *see notes
- Repeat the process with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut the sushi roll into bite-size pieces, using a wet, sharp knife. The easiest way to do that is by making halves until you reach the desired size.
- Serve with soy sauce and a spicy condiment of choice.
- Any kind of “sticky” rice will work.
- For instructions on how to make a sushi roll, see my Instagram Highlight.