A recipe for falafel made from cooked chickpeas, baked and not fried in oil. Falafel is naturally vegan and this recipe is also whole-food, plant-based, oil-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and nut-free.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Bake Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp heaped finely chopped fresh parsley leaves and stems
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds (*optional)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
Put all the dry spices into a blender, a chopper or a coffee grinder and grind into a powder.
Put the chickpeas into a food processor together with chopped fresh parsley and freshly ground spices. Pulse a few times to ground coarsely. Scrape the sides if necessary. (*)
Form the mixture into small balls using one heaped tablespoon of mixture per each ball. Just squeeze the mixture in your hand, then roll out a ball gently between your palms. (*)
Bake in an air fryer for 15 minutes on 180 degrees Celsius or 355 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 20 minutes if using a regular oven. (*)
- Sesame seeds are optional, you can omit them if you are on a strict low fat diet.
- If you don't have a food processor, mash the chickpeas with a fork.
- This recipe should make approx. 10 falafel balls.
- Use the fan setting, if your oven has one.