A recipe for falafel made from cooked chickpeas, baked and not fried in oil. Falafel is naturally vegan and this recipe is also whole-food, plant-based, oil-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and nut-free.
- 1 tin cooked chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp heaped finely chopped fresh parsley leaves and stems
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (*optional)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp flaxseed ground
- ¼ cup water boiling
Combine ground flax seed and boiling water to create a "flax egg". Let it sit for 10 minutes.
Put all the dry spices into a blender, a chopper or a coffee grinder and grind into a powder.
Put the chickpeas into a food processor together with chopped fresh parsley and freshly ground spices. Pulse a few times to ground coarsely. Scrape the sides if necessary. (*)
Add flax egg and mix to combine.
Form the mixture into small balls using one heaped tablespoon of mixture per each ball. Just squeeze the mixture in your hand, then roll out a ball gently between your palms. (*)
Bake in an air fryer for 15 minutes on 180 degrees Celsius or 355 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for up to 20 minutes, if using a regular oven. (*)
- Sesame seeds are optional, you can omit them if you are on a strict low fat diet.
- If you don't have a food processor, mash the chickpeas with a fork.
- This recipe should make approx. 10 falafel balls.
- Use the fan setting, if your oven has one.